Internet Backbone Index

Gary Zimmerman garyz at savvis.com
Thu Jul 10 14:40:32 UTC 1997

Sean, we only have 805 Mbps of possible bandwidth to other networks.  I not
sure what you mean by a better engineered network.  If you only have a
routed network, not sure this is the best way to engineer a network today.
Switch technology can do alot of good things.

The model does fall apart if you say you are only going to buy from these
three to five, but it does not fall apart if you watch your traffic and you
buy from whom your traffic is going to.  The idea is not to engineer poor
peering in the MAEs and NAPs with a bunch of networks.  Buy and manage from
the networks you are going to and you will engineer a better product.  I
still think that if you really looked at a normal NSP traffic that the bulk
of it is with 5 to 8 networks.

I some what agree with some of what you say, that a peer could be a good
thing if it is private and not in a shared peering in the MAEs and NAPs.
You talk about engineering good networks, why then use something that is
unmanaged and uses poor technology and poor engineer designs in a MAE or
NAP?  Where is most of the packet lost on the internet? MAEs and NAPs.
Where does most of the latency come from? Routers.  MAEs and NAPs are
yesterdays ideas that everyone who has bought into the concept now has to
live with it, they did not build the business around the fact they had to
pay and manage to provide good service.

The time is almost upon us that you pay for what you get on the internet
and you must pay for the bandwidth that you use, not what you can over
subscribe until your customer begin to leave.  This is a tough model, few
will make it.

Some day the internet will use measurements, such as QOS and customer will
be willing to pay for those who have engineered their networks to provide
QOS.

I only have one more question for you; how many router hops, on your
network, from New York to Los Angeles?  If it is more than 1, then tell me
what your latency is from end to end.  Let's compare, shall we.

Gary Zimmerman
V.P. of Network Engineering
Savvis Communications Corp.
email: garyz at savvis.com
http://www.savvis.com
Office: 314.719.2423
Address: 7777 Bonhomme Suite 1000
               St. Louis, MO 63105

----------
> From: Sean Donelan <SEAN at SDG.DRA.COM>
> To: nanog at merit.edu
> Subject: Re: Internet Backbone Index
> Date: Wednesday, July 09, 1997 5:45 PM
>
> >SAVVIS.  Fortunately Our target markets are not just libraries and other
> >information providers, it's EVERYONE that needs a T1 and above
connection
> >to the Internet.  How many cities are you in Sean, where are DRA's POPs
for
> >customers to access?  How much bandwidth does DRA have to get these
> >customer to other network?  Let's compare bandwidth shall we.
>
> DRA tries to do one thing well, rather than a lot of things not so well.
>
> Like all things, the correct answer is "It depends."  If you are
interested
> in the DRA network geography, a pretty picture of the DRA North American
POPs
> is at <http://dranet.dra.com/dranet.html>.  BTW, all those locations are
up,
> operational, and have DRA owned and operated equipment in place.  DRA's
> international offices are located in Montreal Canada, Paris France, and
> Melbourne Australia.  The primary NOC is in St. Louis, MO and backup NOC
> operates out of Monterey, CA.
>
> Since DRA also has a lot of private connections (in the old NSFNET AUP
days
> these were called 'backdoor' connections) calculating total bandwidth is
> bit confusing.  If you follow the AGIS bandwidth counting method, DRA has
> about 268 Mbps of possible bandwidth to other networks through public and
> private inter-connects, although DRA doesn't have any single link faster
> than 45 Mbps.  However, bandwidth is rarely the problem.  I've found a
> well engineered 56Kbps connection outperformed a DS3 port into a poorly
> engineered network.
>
> >When 80 to 90 percent of the Internet traffic is to MCI, SPRINT and
UUNET