Suspension of reissuing deleted domain names

Daniel Senie dts at proteon.com
Thu Jul 10 02:30:09 UTC 1997

Edward Fang wrote:

> I think this would be extremely unfair to legitimate domain registrants
> who are truly interested in a name (and willing to pay the registration
> fee) due to the random (and extreme) number of registrations that these
> domain speculators are registering.  You are essentially putting a domain
> name that has never been paid for for two years, because some speculator
> registered it.  This would give the speculators even more reason to
> extract the value of the name from someone who may want it - "If you don't
> pay me, its gone for two years....."

Hmmm. Guess I was thinking it would only apply to domains that actually
WERE
already active, not ones that'd never gone live...

My concern was that a company whose registration hadn't gotten paid for,
whether due to error at the company or at the Internic, should not be
a possible target of extortion by speculators making a grab for their
domain name.

Guess I have to agree with other folks that domains should be PAID for
before
they appear in the root servers. Too much abuse otherwise.

Daniel Senie                  dts at openroute.com
OpenROUTE Networks, Inc.      http://www.openroute.com/
508-898-2800