Keynote/Boardwatch Results

John Leong leong at inversenet.com
Wed Jul 9 18:24:05 UTC 1997

n Mon, 7 Jul 1997, Jack Rickard wrote:
> I discussed the universal test page
> > suggestion with Gene Shklar this afternoon and we will make it so.

Universal test page is certainly a [good] step - but it is a step (one
among many) towards [comparative] testing the performance between the
test machine and a *SPECIFIC* web server .... but not the peformance of
the backbone (even though it clearly is a major component of the
result).  There are simply too many uncontrolled variables still
outstanding.

By the way, we have given considerable thought on the attributes of such
standardised test page.  ... starting with what is the test about.  It
would be a good idea if a sub group of interested parties can get off
line and work on this under some frame work (IETF, NANOG, CAIDA, ... or
just an ad hoc BOF group) and then report the finding back to the
mailing list.

So, if anyone is interested to work on a standardized web page, send me
mail and I will try to get a seperate discussion list going, do some
serious work ... and reduces the S/N ratio of this list.

Regards,
John Leong