Internet Backbone Index

Robert Laughlin robert at portal.dx.net
Wed Jul 9 17:57:39 UTC 1997

On Wed, 9 Jul 1997, Gary Zimmerman wrote:
> When 80 to 90 percent of the Internet traffic is to MCI, SPRINT and UUNET
> then our model is the right way to build this, not to try and see how many
> peering agreements one can get.

DataXchange purchases transit from uunet, mci & sprint.  But we also
aggressively try to peer with those who wish to peer.  Gary, you are wrong
to say that 90% of traffic is for uunet, mci or sprint.  I have the
statistics on my own network to prove this.  Typically we see a breakdown
like this:

MCI                       22%
Sprint                     7%
UUNET                     21%
all other (via peering)   48%

In our opinion since only 52% of the traffic has its best routing thru
uunet, sprint & mci, bi-lateral peering is definately worthwhile.

Best Regards,
Robert Laughlin

DataXchange                sales:  800-863-1550            http://www.dx.net
       Network Operations Center:  703-903-7412 -or- 888-903-7412