Internet Backbone Index

Tim Flavin tim at i1.net
Wed Jul 9 17:09:40 UTC 1997

On Wed, 9 Jul 1997, Gary Zimmerman wrote:

> Sean did not know that Peering is what makes you a National Backbone
> Provider.

It doesn't, but having a national backbone that your customers can use
sure does. Peering, in my opinion, only make that network better.

> It may make you what has been coined as a tier 1 provider, but I
> do not see that this can scale as more companies access the net. If you
> remember at the Nanog meeting, Randy address this model of 2 to 5
> peers/transits if I remember the discuss and that is what we are doing at
> SAVVIS.  Fortunately Our target markets are not just libraries and other
> information providers, it's EVERYONE that needs a T1 and above connection
> to the Internet.  How many cities are you in Sean, where are DRA's POPs for
> customers to access?

Sean can obviously speak for himself, but I beleive they are in 27
countries and several cities in the US.  I have spoken with many of the
fine folks at DRA and have seen first hand how their network functions and
am quite impressed.

> How much bandwidth does DRA have to get these
> customer to other network?  Let's compare bandwidth shall we.

Let's not, let's compare how well that bandwidth is managed.  I can hear
DRA routes through all my various connections in all the cities I'm
located, through all the various peering and/or transit connections.

Now, Savvis on the other hand selectivly announces their routes to their
various NSP's, and those are not equal announcments as I travel one
backbone to get to customer A, and yet a totally different backbone to get
to customer B, and even so far as to goto a different city to get to
customer C of yours.  So if I cannot get to customer C in St Louis unless
I travel UUnet to Chicago to get into your network, makes me think you DO
NOT have a national backbone, but rather are no more than a reseller of
transit such as myself.

Actually, not as myself because my customers can travel my backbone
between cities without heading out to a transit provider when staying
within my customer connections on my network.  And I garantee the same can
be said for any true national backbone provider.

> When 80 to 90 percent of the Internet traffic is to MCI, SPRINT and UUNET
> then our model is the right way to build this, not to try and see how many
> peering agreements one can get.
>
> You are right about our model,  IT WORKS.

On good days I imagine it might, but I've seen so many problems with your
routing it scares me.

Tim Flavin              Internet Access for St Louis & Chicago
Internet 1st, Inc       Toll Free Sales & Support 800-875-3173
http://www.i1.net       For more information email info at i1.net