Aggressive route flap dampening

michael at priori.net michael at priori.net
Mon Jul 7 17:51:54 UTC 1997

Can aggressive route flap dampening replace the need for /19 prefix filtering?
For instance, could the old Class C space be filtered on the /24 boundary
if this sort of flap dampening was put in place? Here is Paul Ferguson's
comments from the pagan mailing list:

>Again, I mention the fact that aggressive route-flap dampening
>could be used in the place of prefix length traffic filters, but
>someone/something needs to educate the latter group to implement
>a less draconian method of protecting themselves from misbehaving
>announcements. If I am not remiss, the predominate reasoning for
>filtering on /19's and longer was an assumption that smaller
>announcements were responsible for the majority of the routing
>instability, and that simply blocking these announcements at
>an arbitrary prefix length would be the simplest way to 'fix'
>the problem. This may be true, but an alternate method of
>approach for this problem could solve all of this squabbling
>once and for all, at least in regard to this issue.

Michael Dillon                    voice: +1-415-482-2840
Senior Systems Architect            fax: +1-415-482-2844
PRIORI NETWORKS, INC.              http://www.priori.net

"The People You Know.  The People You Trust."