Anti-trust Investigation of Network Solutions (fwd)

Jamie Rishaw jamie at intuition.iagnet.net
Mon Jul 7 11:47:28 UTC 1997

This came across com-priv - I'm not supporting it in
any way, this is the second thing I've seen come from
the WP that gives no actual fact to back up its assertion,
but nonetheless ..

-- From com-priv --

"DOMAIN" ASSIGNMENT EXAMINED BY ANTITRUST INVESTIGATORS

Network Solutions Inc. (NSI), the Herndon, Virginia company
selected by the National Science Foundation (NSF) in 1995 to
control the assignment of all Internet domain names, is now
under scrutiny by the Justice Department for possible violation
of antitrust laws.

NSF intends not to renew NSI's contract when it expires next
year, but the company says it does not plan to give up its
responsibility for the domains it registers (.com, .edu., .net.,
and .org).  The company is also in the process of going public
and is planning a stock offering worth as much as $35 million.

source: Washington Post
        July 6, 1997

via edupage

-- end forward --

--
jamie g.k. rishaw  dal/efnet:gavroche          Internet Access Group
'whois JGR2' for PGP keyID/Fingerprint __      Network Operations/TSD
      "The machine's fine. It just doesn't work." -dan at nic.net