Root Servers not updated

Perry E. Metzger perry at piermont.com
Thu Jul 3 21:03:54 UTC 1997

Sean Donelan writes:
> >Lastly, it appears irresponsible to fan the flames of "the internic is
> >trying to get over" via lists like these.  How about giving us the benefit
> >of the doubt?  We generally stay silent on these issues, but feel that it
> >is important to explain what we are doing and why.  No, we are not trying
> >to take over the net.  Sorry for the confusion.
>
> I'm sorry, I must have missed a message somewhere.  On which list did
> NSI post the announcement about the corrupt zone files preventing the
> other root servers from updating or the announcement about the changes
> for those FTPing the zone files prior to Mr. Vixie's message?

I would suggest that NSI would be foolish, given rhetoric that has
been put out by its higher executives, not to do its utmost to try to
allay people's fears.  NSI employees should not in any way be
surprised that people are untrusting of NSI's motives, and should not
be surprised by the way that making the zone databases inaccessable to
FTP and blocking zone transfers from a.root-servers.net has been
perceived. If NSI wishes to allay people's fears, it should make the
zone files accessable once more and fix its root servers.

Perry