Root Servers not updated

Jim Dixon jdd at vbc.net
Thu Jul 3 20:06:50 UTC 1997

On Thu, 3 Jul 1997, Paul A Vixie wrote:

> David H. Holtzman, Senior VP Engineering, NSI, dholtz at internic.net, wrote:
>
> > Lastly, it appears irresponsible to fan the flames of "the internic is
> > trying to get over" via lists like these.  How about giving us the benefit
> > of the doubt?  We generally stay silent on these issues, but feel that it
> > is important to explain what we are doing and why.  No, we are not trying
> > to take over the net.  Sorry for the confusion.
> 	(b) NSI will continue to make all "internic" zone files publically
> 	    available, with no nondisclosure requirements on other root
> 	    name servers, now or ever.

Just for your information:

The second root name server in Europe was set up at the LINX in London
in March.  This was implemented as two servers.  The "." server,
k.root-servers.net, has been operational since then.  The gTLD server,
carrying .com, .net, and .org, received a single zone transfer from
the Internic on 26 March.  Since then zone transfers have been blocked.

Various European Internet organisations (LINX, the London Internet
exchange; RIPE, responsible for allocating address space; and ISPA,
the UK Internet Services Providers Association) have asked for an
explanation or clarification of InterNIC policy but have received none.

--
Jim Dixon                  VBCnet GB Ltd           http://www.vbc.net
tel +44 117 929 1316                             fax +44 117 927 2015