URGENT! Root Servers not updated

Marc Slemko marcs at znep.com
Thu Jul 3 15:56:47 UTC 1997

On Thu, 3 Jul 1997, John Hawkinson wrote:

> > Erm... most routing databases use asxxxx, but the NIC uses xxxx.  eg.
> > whois -h whois.internic.net 6171
>
> Doesn't anybody read the instructions around here? MY GOODNESS!
>
> 	whois nnnn
>
> will return all records that match "nnnn", be they people, domains,
> AS numbers, networks, or what-have-you.

No need to get snarky.  You can do it the way you suggest to get only
ASes.  Or you can skip that to get a list of all records and, in the rare
case that there is more than one, do another lookup on that one.

On Thu, 3 Jul 1997, Christian Nielsen wrote:

> On Wed, 2 Jul 1997, Marc Slemko wrote:
>
> > Note, however, that just because an AS shows as not existing in the
> > InterNIC's database doesn't mean it doesn't exist.  From what the InterNIC
> > has told me, they have no policy of having pointer records for AS blocks
> > allocated to regional registries; it happens sometimes, it doesn't happen
> > sometimes, all depending on what they feel like doing.  That means that to
> > find the owner of an AS you may need to query every regional registery in
> > the world.  Right now there are few enough such registries to make it
> > possible, but it is certainly an annoyance.
>
> 	But if you were to go to
>
> 	ftp://rs.internic.net/netinfo/asn.txt
>
> 	You can see who they belong to.

Really?  As I said, they do it if they feel like and don't if they don't
meaning that some they do.  Some, such as the one that as8221 is out of,
they don't.  For the ones that they do, there are pointers in the whois
database saying "oh, go look there" just like there are for netblocks.

> PS. I also know that the above file is out of date and needs to be

When I asked the InterNIC about it, the response I got for the above block
was not that it had not yet been updated, but that it just hadn't been
done, no reason for it.