Another UUNET Explanation

Ehud Gavron GAVRON at ACES.COM
Wed Jul 2 00:35:52 UTC 1997

	Frame-Relay, ATM, IP, X.25, DECnet, LAT, are all methods
	of encapsulation of information into discrete units and
	their subsequent delivery.  Some are part of the PSTN,
	and some are not.

	Each protocol has its set of restrictions/features.  None are
	"bad" per se (not even X.25, Joel ;)  Make sure not to confuse
	the protocol with the medium it uses.  For instance, frame-relay
	DS3s will outperform ATM DS1s for data and voice routing :)*

	Many people who "hate" frame-relay really despise the predominant
	practice of overselling non Committed-Information-Rate circuits
	into an overloaded central hub location.

	Frame-Relay "routing" is L2, and IP routing is L3, so I won't
	really go into comparing them any more than, say, discussing
	the technical advantages of TCP vs. IP.  They are two different things
	with similar form yet different functions.

	Ehud

* There are some purists who would claim that the additional overhead
  of switching frame-relay packets would increase latency over that inherent
  in an ATM switched network.  They would say that my example above (which is
  just an example, so reading too much into it is an exercise in being a pedant)
  is flawed because the frame-DS3 is more latent than the ATM-DS1.  Nonetheless
  I claim the inherent latency of both networks to be less than that noticeable
  by human ears.  Nya. Nee. Nya. Nee. PooPoo.