Recap (Re: Keynote/Boardwatch Internet Backbone Index A better test!!!)

J.D. Falk jdfalk at priori.net
Tue Jul 1 15:29:20 UTC 1997

	(As always, speaking only for myself.)

On Jul 1, "Sean M. Doran" <smd at clock.org> wrote:

> Such reactions are pure marketing: we can't admit that
> maybe there is some way we could improve things or some
> set of things our network doesn't do well because that
> would hurt our product image.

	I dunno...from what I saw on here, most of the people who
	were giving Jack a really hard time weren't even measured
	in that study.

	From what I saw, the most consistent problem that people
	pointed out was that what Jack said the story was measuring
	and what it actually measured were two different things.

	IMHO, Jack made the problem /much/ worse by trying to
	defend it without paying much attention to the arguments
	presented -- he had already made up his mind as to what
	kind of response he'd get (angry from "losers," supportive
	from "winners"), and did not seem to really notice when
	the actual ratio of response was different.

	This strikes me as exceedingly poor journalism (and a fairly
	dumb thing to do in and of itself).  So, while I would love
	to help /somebody/ get better statistics on this kind of
	stuff, it seems (based on his actions here as well as some
	of his articles and editorials) that Jack is not enough of
	an objective journalist to do such a study in a thorough
	and scientific manner.

	Hopefully somebody else will...and by the way, Jack, I'd be
	quite happy for you to prove me wrong in the meantime.

J.D. Falk                                        voice: +1-415-482-2840
Supervisor, Network Operations                     fax: +1-415-482-2844
PRIORI NETWORKS, INC.                             http://www.priori.net
           "The People You Know.  The People You Trust."