What will they think of next?

Howard C. Berkowitz hcb at clark.net
Thu Jan 30 23:38:51 UTC 1997

At 1:53 PM -0800 1/30/97, Steven Eric Rubin wrote:
>I pulled this off of ba.internet, thought you might find this
>interesting..

Did they by any chance come up with this place where small ISPs can meet,
presumably agree on common routing policies as seen by the world, keep
local traffic local, and (although it's not mentioned) perhaps default to a
higher-level provider?  Gee...it would sound as if they want to cooperate
in their policies, but autonomously of other people outside their local
area, who would see them as a single system.  What could they call it?  An
autonomous system.  I like that.

I have heard of a financial type, tired of paying more and more for floor
space for the server farm, brought in steel-frame industrial shelving and
stacked servers several high.  He called this new configuration the Main
Frame.

Howard