IP Filtering / CIDR Block Size / SprintLink

Alex P. Rudnev alex at Relcom.EU.net
Tue Jan 28 15:50:01 UTC 1997

On Tue, 28 Jan 1997, David Schwartz wrote:

> On Tue, 28 Jan 1997, Alex P. Rudnev wrote:
>
> > It's not big difference for us if there is 1 or 10 big ISP who make
> > filtering.
>
> > I must repeat - it's not important for the small ISP and small
> > enterprises how many ISP over the world produce filtering - it's
> > important if the filtering exist somewhere or not.
>
> 	Well, that's not quite true. If it's only one or two and they
> don't filter their own customers, an ISP can simply get a T1 to everyone
> who filters and keep their small blocks working.

It's amazing - if I'll recomend our small ISP bye 256K link Moscow/USA
(Sprint), guess what they say.

But I am misunderstanded at all - first (in September or earlier) no one
Registry over the world could not allocate for multi-home customer
address space less than /19 (32 networks) and this prevented many
enterprices or institutes from multihome connection to the Internet; just
now (due to your answers) nobody filter our 195.xx or other RIPE's blocks
except to /24 prefix; does it mean customers can get multihome access if
they have /22 or /20 address space?

And why Spring (and AGIS) have changed their filtering policy? Was it my
imagination or they have filtered 195.xx block to /19 prefixes?