peering charges?

Alec H. Peterson ahp at hilander.com
Sun Jan 26 21:07:38 UTC 1997

On Jan 26, 1997, Nathan Stratton wrote:

> Yes, and the current peering requirements are enough to keep most small
> ISPs from growing. I am spending 10s of thousands a month over what I need
> to spend just because people want to see full DS3 network. I can
> understand people would want me to be at all NAPs, but why should I need
> 10X the bandwidth I need for my customers?

Well, my guess would be that if you don't have a DS3 backbone, why
would the big guys want to peer with you anyway?  If you don't need
that much bandwidth (or don't have it) odds are you don't have enough
customers for the big guys to want to peer with you.  The DS3 backbone
requirement is just a nicer way of saying that (and it is a
quantifiable level).

Alec

--
|Alec Peterson - ahp at hilander.com    | Erols Internet Services, INC.        |