peering charges?

Eric D. Madison madison at queber.acsi.net
Sun Jan 26 07:04:14 UTC 1997

I don't think anyone has actually started charging "settlements" which is
what your CEO is probably talking about.  It's been a rumor for quite a
while that settlement based peering will happen.  Very similar to how the
utilities companies manage "traffic".  You would count bits into your
network from peer X and he would count bits from your network, whoever has
the lowest number has to pay the difference.  So, if you are a small
provider, your going to have to pay the big boys to carry your customers
traffic.  Welcome to the new Internet, where the bottom line is the
driving factor. Especially since the margins are so low and no-one has
made any money yet (will we ever?).

Since some of the larger vendors (Cisco mostly) has introduced accounting
features into their software settlements could start any time.  It's just
a matter of time until someone actually announces it..  who will jump
first?   I have my guess but I don't think I want to announce it publicly.
:)

Eric

      Eric D. Madison - Senior Network Engineer -
 ACSI - Advanced Data Services - ATM/IP Backbone Group
   24 Hour NMC/NOC (800)291-7889 Email: noc at acsi.net