Suggestion for NANOG Meeting

Sean Donelan SEAN at SDG.DRA.COM
Tue Jan 21 09:35:45 UTC 1997

>As a carrier, we at ACSI have issued a statement that we cannot be
>responsible for customer traffic.  I know that legally we cannot filter
>any customer traffic, but I am really getting sick of getting emails
>about customers that continue to send unsolicited emails.  We as a
>community need to come up with a common carrier policy on how to handle
>such customers and how to deal with complaints.

Talk to you company lawyer about what you legally can and can not do.
Even common carriers have a lot of leeway writing their tariffs.  Yes,
tariff writing is a business decision.  Common carriers write the darndest
things in their tariffs.  And even more amazing, if you had a smart
lawyer write the right things, you can get a court to enforce those
darndest things too.

Personally, I would be happy if the IETF-RUN group put out a document
on the right and wrong way to complain.  Spamming your complaint about
spam is a bit hippocritical.