Bay Networks in bed with commie censors?

Ronald Barron Yokubaitis rony at texas.net
Sun Jan 19 01:58:47 UTC 1997

On Thu, 16 Jan 1997, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> Paul Ferguson writes:
> > At 05:33 PM 1/15/97 -0800, Vadim Antonov wrote:
> > >The technology we're playing with lost it virginity years ago, and
> > >it is our duty to remember than it can be an immensely powerful tool
> > >in politics and military.  We're not in a sandbox anymore.
> >
> > Not everything is a freeking conspiracy either.
>
> Vadim is making a reasonable point. Supplying technology to some
> countries is not a neutral act. Businesspeople must take this into
> account when doing business with such people.

MMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmm...........Do the same considerations apply to
BUYING from the PRC?

We were working in our NOC last night unpacking and installing a
Cisco 7513 and a Catalyst 5000 switch and one of them had cooling fans
that were clearly marked "Made in China" ie. made in the PRC.

Why is SELLING to the PRC by Bay any more morally difficult than
BUYING from the PRC by Cisco?

Bay sells to the PRC; Cisco buys from the PRC.

Has any University stood on principle and refused to buy from Cisco?
Bay? On this basis?

University SysAdmins can read the component labels as well as Private
Sector SysAdmins.

But then The North American Universities' hands aren't very clean
after their own supression of Student Speech during the Pograms of
80's in their own futile attempt at "Cultural Revolution" AKA
"Political Correctness?" I am thankful the University didn't have
tanks.

Sell/Buy PRC ??

mox nix,

tanto faz......

Ronald Barron Yokubaitis        A       Internet Access for the
Texas NetWorking Inc.           B       REPUBLIC OF TEXAS and
San Antonio (210) 272-8111      5       neighboring countries
Austin (512) 472-2532           L       Boerne (210) 249-7058
Houston (713) 222-2260          J       Georgetown (512) 869-5947