Info on MAE-EAST

Robert Laughlin robert at portal.dx.net
Fri Jan 17 14:48:11 UTC 1997

On Thu, 16 Jan 1997, Jeremy Porter wrote:
> I almost would venture a guess that the whole value in public
> interconnects is largely dead, due to the restrictive peering polices
> in place by the larger networks, and the lack of interest/clue in
> smaller providers.

My own experience is that the vast majority of networks at the MAE's
are happy to peer with DataXchange.  The present system of n*(n-1)
negotiations and the lack of easy to obtain contact information makes the
process much more difficult and time consuming than it has to be.  I
recently spoke with the new Director of CIX about this, and she agreed
that CIX would setup a database to make this process a bit easier, by
listing the contact information of those networks who *do* wish to
generally peer.  Of course the largest networks will not participate, as
lately it seems to be a matter of pride to have the most restrictive
peering policies.  But for the rest of us, it will make life a little easier.

Regarding "having a clue", I find nearly every MAE connected network
to have knowledgable and capable people, who just usually have more to do
than time to do it.  I do not think the size of the network corralates
well to the "clueness" of the personal.

Best Regards,
Robert Laughlin
DataXchange                sales:  800-863-1550            http://www.dx.net
       Network Operations Center:  703-903-7412 -or- 888-903-7412