Questions about Internet Packet Losses

Tony Li tli at jnx.com
Tue Jan 14 02:07:37 UTC 1997

   The 4.3 Reno-derived TCPs (the majority) are fairly robust.

Yeah, but I doubt that they're in the majority.  Recent stats indicate that
about 9% of the packets out there are using an MSS of 512.  Another 1% are
using an MSS of 256.  Only 6% are using 536, and 7% are using 1460.  This
indicates to me that there are a whole lot of broken boxes out there still.

   The most annoying problem is not packet loss, it's routing stability.

Or, to be more precise, the results of routing instability on one
particular router implementation.

Tony