It Continues...Sprint Is played the fool...

Sean Donelan SEAN at SDG.DRA.COM
Wed Jan 8 23:07:47 UTC 1997

>	Suggested reading are the rules and regulations for common carriers,

Good idea, I suggest everyone do this, or at least have a chat with their
company lawyer.  Common carrier laws and regulations are a bit dry, but
I read a bunch of them dating back to the 1600's.  All based on English
Common Law, because my non-english language skills are lacking.

>		Joe does not like the fact that I call him on the
>		phone, so he calls my local phone operator and have
>		them to block my phone for outgoing calls.
>
>		My mother is about to die and she needs and ambulance,
>		but the phone does not work.

This is a strawman argument.  Barry didn't asked Sprint to block all
outgoing communication, or calls to emergency services, only calls to
his network number.  A different division of Sprint will block calls between
certain telephone numbers at the request of the subscriber.  They advertise
the blocking as a 'feature.'  So this isn't a company-wide policy, but rather
a division-level business decision.  Unless your mother is in the habit of
calling Software Tool & Die for ambulances, I don't see the relevance.

>	All ISP's should have as a policy to move packets, or for some
>	atlest try to move packets as close they can to the destination.

You could have this policy for your ISP.  But it isn't a requirement of
common carriers when the carrier knows the addressee refused the shipment.

An old example, you hire a livery to ship horse manure to my house.
I tell the livery I don't want the horse manure delivered to my house.
The livery does not have to move the horse manure as close as they can
to my front door after I tell the livery I refuse to accept it.

A more modern US-centric example, attach a US Post Office Business Reply
mailer on a brick, and you will discover the post office will discard the
brick as close as they can to the origin.  This does not mean you can't
mail bricks through the mail.  One man mailed an entire house to Alaska,
one brick at a time, and the post office delivered them.  But if the Post
Office knew the addressee had refused to accept the bricks in Alaska, the
Post Office isn't required to ship the bricks to Alaska just so the shipment
could be refused.