URGENT: Operational Integrity Problem with IQ-INTERNET.COM

Barry Shein bzs at world.std.com
Sat Jan 4 02:26:09 UTC 1997

On January 3, 1997 at 15:49 rob at elite.exodus.net (Robert Bowman) wrote:
 > What relevance does this have to the NANOG community?

I thought someone here might be interested, even just for
informational purposes, in the operational problems Sprint is causing
in the north american network with their negligent and/or incompetent
network administration.

As of 20:27 EST that mailer loop was still running full bore, about 6
hours after Sprint acknowledged the specific problem report (which
they waffled on), and documentably over 24 hours after their staff
acknowledged the general problem in public (that is, the specific
incident was no surprise, they've been talking about this site's
outrageous behavior for at least a full day, I have the mail.)

But go ahead, tell your customers that slow-downs and congestion on
the net are due to mere demand, and we'll all keep conspiratorially
quiet about how arrogant, incompetent billion dollar plus corporations
refuse to lift a finger to resolve egregious problems even when it's
laid out to them as clearly as can be and theyre given 24+ hours to
respond. It's better PR, huh, <wink wink>? Let's keep up that illusion
of all being good-spirited and pulling our weight for the common good
of the net, even if it is just bullshit (at least in part), otherwise,
who knows, someone might lose faith and someone like Bob Metcalfe
might write another article just scaring people...can't have that,
must keep up appearances! Must hold firm to the claim that we're all
rowing as fast as we can! (Some of us certainly are, not my point.)

As I write this it's *conceivable* the loop has been stopped, I just
checked, but how many here think this development might have just a
tiny bit to do with embarrassing Sprint in public? Hands? Yeah, I
thought so.

I dunno what the hell else to do, to be frank, I really don't. Maybe
public embarrassment will work, at least I was decent enough to try to
keep my first shot in front of a highly technical audience who can
understand exactly what's going on here and keep it all in
perspective.

If I upset anyone (outside of Sprint), I apologize.

--
        -Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die    | bzs at world.std.com          | http://www.std.com
The World              | Public Access Internet     | Since 1989