Big providers use NAT to squeeze little ISPs

Alan Hannan alan at mindvision.com
Thu Feb 27 00:22:41 UTC 1997

  Karl,

  Sometimes I think you work for the Yoyodyne Corporation
  from some movie or another.

  Tell you what.

  You watch the capitalist system of our country reward
  companies that utilize new technology to encourage better service.

  It really shouldn't be that terribly hard to convince Mr IS
  director that the hot swap and load sharing functionality
  benefiting the web server you want to sell him, signficantly
  outweights the benefit of him having his "own" IP address.

  Please don't infer that the big providers are evil greedy
  bastards out to use their will to trash companies who exercise new
  technology.

  If you can somehow explain to me/us how using NAT places a company
  at a disadvantage, I'd love to hear it.

  -alan