BGP announcements and small providers

Justin W. Newton justin at erols.com
Wed Feb 26 21:01:10 UTC 1997

At 02:31 PM 2/26/97 -0500, Bradley Dunn wrote:
>On Wed, 26 Feb 1997, Lyndon Levesley wrote:
>
>>  Nameservers are a bit harder to renumber, but that's not too bad.
>
>When you have hundreds of virtual web sites?

Uhm, sure.  Just slowly decrease the TTL on your name server until you are
ready to renumber (and the TTL is set to something ridiculously low such as
1 minute).  The customers will then experience something like a 1 minute
outage when you renumber.  If we are going to start getting into the
procedures of HOW to renumber this should likely move to the PIER mailing
list.  I think if in general people become more interested in HOW to
gracefully renumber themselves and their customers instead of worrying
about how hard it is to do they would see that while it is work, it isn't
really all that hard.

Justin Newton
Network Architect
Erol's Internet Services