early history of the NSI NIC (Was:Re: Developing a broader view...)

dave o'leary doleary at cisco.com
Tue Feb 25 05:06:46 UTC 1997

my recollection from those days is blurred from lack of sleep (then
and now), but I do remember that we (SURAnet/FIX East) put in a T1 link for
added capacity to NSI because connectivity to the NIC when it first moved
there was...ummm....less than satisfactory.  Probably an AGS connected
to an IGS or some such, maybe between the Proteons that we had lying
around (it might have even been connected to the NSI backbone
proteon at the FIX-East end). We just paid for the link for quite a while
because it was the only way we could get connectivity.  I think it was Scott
Williamson (or something like that) who pretty much got munched on in
a big way at the first couple of IETFs and Regional-Techs (pre-NANOG)
meetings after NSI got the contract.  Jennifer (now at UUnet) and Jeff
Burgan (from NASA then, now at Bay Networks) were the ones who actually
really helped to get this working (circuit and routing).

(back in the old days, when I was just a boy things were *really* broken,
we had to sort the packets by HAND...and before in the 80's that we didn't
even *have* a DNS (maybe it would be easier if we went back)).

I also don't worry too much about who is collecting a million here or
there from the government after working with the various defense
contractors and discovering true bureaucratic waste, so maybe the
schedule listed out below is from a second round of funding or
something - but the reason I went through this whole monologue
is that I left SURAnet at the end of March, 1992, (trust, me,
I remember this date) and I *know* the link I described above was up
and running to the NIC at NSI at least months before I left.

So I don't know how the original solicitation could have been in
March of 1992.  I didn't check any of the URLs, so sorry if I
am wasting everyone's time.  Or maybe this is just some doublespeak
and it's all more of the government conspiracy.  Fortunately cisco
is part of the conspiracy now so I can get away with sending messages
like this from the inside, at least until they find me.... :-)

							dave

p.s. I would put in a pithy quote from "1984" but I can only find
	"Animal Farm" and "Brave New World" and they aren't quite
	right to match this situation... well actually maybe
	"Brazil" would be better...Central Services anyone?

At 16:22 -0000 2/24/97, Jim Fleming wrote:
>Many NANOG members have been around longer than most.

I don't even know how to respond to this.... ????????