Just got on this thing (perhaps very belatedly) - root server trouble?

Michael Handler handler at sub-rosa.com
Wed Feb 19 00:48:20 UTC 1997

In <v02140b1daf2ff1f4b577@[207.135.64.133]>,
Chris Russo <crusso at alink.net> wrote:

> As was mentioned before, you shouldn't have to pay an ISP to have a domain
> name reserved.

Yes, you should. Currently, to register a domain, both with the InterNIC
and the AlterNUTS, you need to specify at least two nameservers to
serve DNS data for your domain. If you list an ISP's nameservers on
your domain registration, you sure as hell should pay that ISP.

You can take this issue the other way, and say that the InterNIC shouldn't
require two nameservers on the initial registration, but I think that's
a bad idea. The two-nameserver requirement raises at least a minimum
bar that rampant domain-grabbers have to jump.

This has nothing at all to do with NANOG. I've set Reply-To: to
rs-talk at internic.net, the InterNIC's list for discussing registry
issues.

--
Michael Handler <handler at sub-rosa.com>                        Washington, D.C.
 know your faults / know your friends / be prepared / to take revenge -- MoLG