Just got on this thing (perhaps very belatedly) - root server trouble?

Karl Denninger karl at Mcs.Net
Tue Feb 18 01:44:59 UTC 1997

> On Mon, 17 Feb 1997 17:35:15 -0600 (CST), karl at mcs.net writes:
> >
> >We've been running on eDNS now for something like seven months, and have
> >had ZERO operational incidents recorded by our NOC which have been related
> >to root server failures or problems.
>
> Somehow, I'm not impressed. Say, shouldn't the inability of any AOL customers
> to send email to user at domain.audio be considered an operational problem?

One that should be taken up with IANA, in my opinion, but heh, there are
differing opinions on this.

> And shouldn't "root servers" have recursive queries turned off?:

Until VERY recently they weren't on the existing roots.  And, by the way,
while we're talking about that, what is this about hosting the 800,000-some-
odd NSI domains on the roots?

BTW, there are 2010-complient roots going in.  And, if you secondary root
from us, you'll get that update automatically when it happens.....

> And what happens if usage of the eDNS root servers goes up? The eDNS
> root servers don't appear to be very well situated network-wise,
> either. It looks like all of them are in North America. The IANA has
> at least one non-North American root server (i.root-servers.net).

Only one.  Again, there's a fix for this.  Its called more participation.

But since this is the NORTH AMERICAN network operations group, I would think
that the issue would be exactly that -- North America.... :-)

Diversity is also being improved.  I expect to be able to announce two or
three additional divergent root servers, on major backbone networks, within
the next few weeks.

The point at hand, though, is that we haven't had *any* operational incidents
since eDNS was launched that could be in any way traced to the other root
servers.  None at all.

Meanwhile, there have been several service-affecting issues on the
IANA-sponsored roots in the same time frame.

What was that edict again?  "Rough consensus and operational code"?  We
certainly do seem to have that.

Karl Denninger (karl at MCS.Net)| MCSNet - The Finest Internet Connectivity
http://www.mcs.net/~karl     | T1's from $600 monthly to FULL DS-3 Service
			     | 99 Analog numbers, 77 ISDN, Web servers $75/mo
Voice: [+1 312 803-MCS1 x219]| Email to "info at mcs.net" WWW: http://www.mcs.net/
Fax:   [+1 312 803-4929]     | 2 FULL DS-3 Internet links; 400Mbps B/W Internal