Just got on this thing (perhaps very belatedly) - root server trouble?

Karl Denninger karl at Mcs.Net
Mon Feb 17 23:35:15 UTC 1997

Hi folks,

Just joined over here.... probably rather belatedly...

What's this about root server problems?

For what its worth, I haven't seen any.  Then again, I don't run here with
the IANA roots -- I run eDNS.

Perhaps those who are unhappy with the stability of the IANA roots these
days should try them...

http://www.edns.net has a rather simple way to do this (yeah, it doesn't win
any artistic design awards, but the information is there.... the page is
brand new, just put up this afternoon)

We've been running on eDNS now for something like seven months, and have
had ZERO operational incidents recorded by our NOC which have been related
to root server failures or problems.

Now .COM servers -- that's another story.  We had the problem with the bad
data a couple of months ago like everyone else.  But this wasn't a root
server problem (and never was traced to the roots).....

Give it a shot folks.  I know lots of you have political dislikes for the
eDNS concept and implementation, but if your nameservice is unreliable now,
having trouble, and you can *FIX IT* for your customers by using eDNS
instead, isn't finding and using a better mousetrap what your customers
all pay for you?

Think about it!

Karl Denninger (karl at MCS.Net)| MCSNet - The Finest Internet Connectivity
http://www.mcs.net/~karl     | T1's from $600 monthly to FULL DS-3 Service
			     | 99 Analog numbers, 77 ISDN, Web servers $75/mo
Voice: [+1 312 803-MCS1 x219]| Email to "info at mcs.net" WWW: http://www.mcs.net/
Fax:   [+1 312 803-4929]     | 2 FULL DS-3 Internet links; 400Mbps B/W Internal