Major Global Telecommunications Firm Runs the ALTERNIC root.db!

Jim Fleming JimFleming at unety.net
Mon Feb 17 21:30:59 UTC 1997

On Monday, February 17, 1997 9:20 AM, Karl Denninger[SMTP:karl at Mcs.Net] wrote:
@ >
@ > Well, folks, in spite of the claim by Perry, Don and crew that Alternic
@ > is going nowhere, it seems that GTE (thats correct, the telco giant)
@ > has at least a little faith in Alternic root.db!
@ >
@
@ Confirmed.
@
@ Cthulu:${PWD##}> dig ns . @pooh.netops.gtefsd.com
@

Yes folks...I think that all of the education that people
have been providing is paying off with the "big boys"
and I do not mean the large human types.

I suggest that everyone continue to focus on the
round table. Dot is in the center of the table. The
U.S. Government will want (and deserves) a seat
(or a couple seats) at the table. There are places
for many participants.

The IANA and Network Solutions, Inc. are trying
to keep up with the pace that you are setting.
They have finally deployed some TRUE Root
Name Servers.

People claim that the NSF should be all about
science and research. It is interesting that the
leading edge research is now being done in the
private sector and the NSF dollars are funding
people to be registration bookeepers and clerks.

Hopefully, this last situation can be turned
around over the next year. As more and more
registries are created as clones of the InterNIC
the NSF can transition back to the world of
science and research.

We need to move forward. People need to
focus on the issues of IN-ADDR.ARPA and
begin moving those delegations to regional
registries operated by commercial companies.

One of the "big boys" recently told me that
they are willing to donate their /8 to the
cause of Internet registry progress. If that
starts to occur, then we can open up all
of these IP address allocation issues and
allow ISPs to grow without InterNIC interference.

There is much work to do....

--
Jim Fleming
Unir Corporation