F means filtered ?

Jim Fleming JimFleming at unety.net
Mon Feb 17 20:31:23 UTC 1997

On Monday, February 17, 1997 2:27 PM, Perry E. Metzger[SMTP:perry at piermont.com] wrote:
@
@ Jim Fleming writes:
@ > Someone claimed that they could not access the public
@ > Root Name Server operated by Paul Vixie and supported
@ > by the U.S. Government and the National Science Foundation
@
@ No one claimed that but you.

Here is the original mail....from matthew kaufman

"Root nameserver F is not reachable from my network."

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 19:47:28 -0800 (PST)
From: matthew at scruz.net (Matthew Kaufman)
To: nanog at merit.edu
Subject: root servers more debug data
Sender: owner-nanog at merit.edu

At present I am able to reach root nameservers A, B, C, D, E, G, I
and receive valid replies to a name request.

Root nameserver F is not reachable from my network.

Root nameserver H is responding to all my requests with the
 4-bit Response Code field set to the value 0x03 ("Name error")

This is confusing a fair number of things.

-matthew kaufman
 matthew at scruz.net

ps. this is clearly the wrong list for this, but the only one I am
 on and successfully receiving mail from.

The rest of your message has been deleted and
noted for future reference.

--
Jim Fleming
Unir Corporation