Alpha test of MAE filtering capability

Scott Blandford scottb at carfax.ims.advantis.com
Tue Feb 4 17:32:29 UTC 1997

>I don't think filters are a problem for third party routing as long
>as the third party routing is not done in secret.  If I am sending
>you third party routes for someone, and you know it because I tell
>you I am and you agree to let me, then you can open your filters to
>the source port for those routes.  Third party routes that are
>being done without the knowledge of the traffic target are a bad
>thing and shouldn't be done anyway...

In the third party routes scenario you describe above it is not just an issue
of you telling me that you are sending my third party routes and me opening
my filters.  You must also tell the third party that you are sending me
their routes.  Then they can open their filters to allow my traffic.

All in all I see this as a huge complication in the underlying structure of the
Mae's.  I would be detrimental to the interconnects if ISP's used filtering
as a general practice.  It is a great feature to have as a way to stop an
abuse that has been detected and maybe even as a punishment for abusive
ISP's, but lets leave out the extra layer of complication unless it really
adds something to the network

Scott Blandford
IBM Global Network