smurf, the MCI-developed tracing tools (was Re: Bogus announcement)

Dale Drew ddrew at mci.net
Sat Dec 27 22:18:14 UTC 1997

JimL;

At 02:39 PM 12/27/97 -0800, Network Operations Center wrote:

>	Hello Karl & All,  Where or at what price are these tools
>	available.

MCI's tracing tool, DoSTracker, is available- free of charge - at MCI's
Security Web site; http://www.security.mci.net/dostracker .  Please
let me know if you have ANY problems with it.  Keep in mind that it
was designed with specific operating conditions in mind; mostly that you'll
need a tool of this nature to trace denial of service attacks (of a
wide variety) across a backbone that you own, in order to find it's
ingress point.

If you're a single-homed end customer (AND you have a small internal
network), DoSTrack isn't going to be a very worthwhile tool for you.

>			Tia, JimL
>PS:	In a further responce Karl was heard to say :
>
>> The bottom line is that MONTHS after these were made available your NOC
crew

>	I never heard nor was made aware that these tools were available,
>	even though I am an MCI Customer . :-(

Sorry - Identifying the specific and correct contact within all our end
customers
who would be interested in such a tool is a difficult task (and I don't
make it a
habit of sending unsolicited commercial email messages, even if they are
to our customers :> ), which is why discussion lists of this nature where
created,
and DoSTracker was announced on this list.

Feel free to visit; http://infopage.mci.net and
http://www.security.mci.net, which
should provide you the type of information you are looking for, and is
regularly (?) updated.

Dale

                "We all live in a Yellow Subroutine..."

Dale Drew                                 MCI Telecommunications
Sr. Manager                                 internetMCI Security
                                                     Engineering
Voice:  703/715-7058                     Internet: ddrew at mci.net
Fax:    703/715-7066                 MCIMAIL: Dale_Drew/644-3335

>On Sat, 27 Dec 1997, Karl Denninger wrote:
>> On Sat, Dec 27, 1997 at 01:24:05PM -0500, Reid B. Fishler wrote:
>> > Just thought that I would post that as one of goodnet's larger
>>>customers (DS3), we are
>> > VERY satisfied with their NOC, as well as their service. Whenever I
>>>have a problem, I
>> > can get a member of the goodnet staff to respond quicker than my
>>>other upstreams...:-)
>> > (hint Sprint)
>> >
>> > Reid Fishler
>> > Lightning Internet Services, LLC
>>
>> Wait until you get smurfed and ask them to use the MCI-developed tracing
>> tools and get a "duhhhhh" back in response.
>>
>> They might have fixed this by now (since we bitched LOUDLY about this)
but