Whoa; the 3 network?

John Cavanaugh aladin at cisco.com
Tue Dec 23 18:37:22 UTC 1997

Hi,

In the beginning a lot of Fortune 100 companies were assigned Class 'A'
addresses.  In todays world of address shortages, the existence of NAT and
RFC1919 spaces make this hard to justify, but imagine the expense of having
to readdress hundreds of thousands of workstations and hosts.

Few of the original class A holders could rejustify their address
allocations today, but who are we to judge?  I was at Boeing during those
days and had access to 20+ class B addresses and a class A (we returned the
'A' :-).

I doubt HP, Xerox, IBM, GE, Mercedes etc want the expense of changing...

John