Broadcast pings.

Joe Shaw jshaw at insync.net
Mon Dec 22 23:59:52 UTC 1997

I had a customers link go down because they were the target of a smurf
attack a few weeks ago, and when I was sniffing the link to find out what
was going on, I found tons of packets coming from root nameservers, .gov
sites, and other places.  If I hadn't been at a terminal, I'd have done a
better job of logging them when it happened.  As it stands, I just turned
off ICMP into my routers for a few hours and all was well.  What I would
have given to have had a dedicated sniffer so I could have done a better
job of logging.

Regards,
Joe Shaw - jshaw at insync.net
NetAdmin - Insync Internet Services
Fortune for the day: "Speak softly and carry a +6 two-handed sword."