Traffic Engineering (fwd)

Jon Zeeff jon at branch.net
Fri Dec 19 21:30:32 UTC 1997

The biggest drawback we saw when we evaluated this approach (way back when)
was that it depends on routing protocols, which are quite inadequate for
predicting what a user is going to experience as the "best site".  You
also create some amount (perhaps not significant) of problems for
stateful sessions (like web servers that are tracking who the user is
through their entire session).

I agree that it might be adequate for simply reducing backbone
traffic.  I believe AGIS uses this approach for their coolocation.