I'm looking for an event-driven DNS resolver (public-domain source)

Forrest W. Christian forrestc at workhorse.iMach.com
Wed Dec 10 09:22:59 UTC 1997

On Tue, 9 Dec 1997, George Powers wrote:

> I'm looking for some code to crib that'll give me an event-driven
> (non-blocking) DNS resolver, preferably one that caches.  I've looked at
> the BSD bind resolver, but it is is process-based, and blocks while
> waiting for a reply.

A couple of suggestions:

1)  A better place to look or ask might be news:comp.protocols.domains.
    I'd probably say that this is slightly off topic for NANOG. If
    you don't have a news server (or even if you do) you may want to
    use dejanews (http://www.dejanews.com) to search for asyncronous
    resolver or non-blocking resolver.  I just tried this and although
    there isn't many hits, some of them do look interesting.  If you can't
    find anything, post a message after looking at suggestion #2.

2)  In the current bind-contrib distribution, there is at least one
    asynchronous library.  The directory name in my bind 8.1.1 distrib is
    arlib.  There may be more than one, but I didn't look very hard.  I
    personally haven't used this code, but the majority of the code in the
    contrib stuff is pretty good.

3)  If the above doesn't work, and you're willing to pay someone to write
    something for you, I'd drop a note to Paul Vixie or someone else at
    the isc about the possibility of you paying them to write the code.

Hope this helps.

- Forrest W. Christian (forrestc at imach.com)
iMach, Ltd., P.O. Box 5749, Helena, MT 59604      http://www.imach.com
Solutions for your high-tech problems.                  (406)-442-6648