Filters and reality

David R. Conrad davidc at apnic.net
Wed Aug 27 01:20:20 UTC 1997

Hi,

>No argument there, but what about more consistency in filtering which *might*
>lead to more predictability in routing behavior?

I think the theory was (and the Neo-European Sean D. can correct me if
I'm wrong) that the lack of outbound filters was to encourage other
ISPs to implement the filters.

To be honest, the filtering solution has always struck me as the moral
equivalent to using a sledgehammer to remove unslightly warts --
arguably effective, but somewhat unaesthetic.  It seems to me it would
be so much more ... elegant if folk would settle for routes and/or
flap (given they are the critical resources).  Implementation is left
as an excercise for the reader.

Regards,
-drc