Is this just a rumor?

J.D. Falk jdfalk at priori.net
Tue Aug 26 21:34:39 UTC 1997

On Aug 26, Joe Shaw <jshaw at insync.net> wrote:

> I've also heard that.  Another rumor is that Domain Name Registration is
> going to now cost $250/year, instead of $50/year.

	Haven't heard that one, but I doubt they'd be that stupid.

> Class C address space
> is going to cost you $2500/year.  The $9.95/month ISPs are out of
> business.  What's this going to do to the small and struggling businesses
> out there?  Class B networks are now going to cost $637500 at that price.
> So, look for prices on everything to start going up to cover the costs for
> your upstream providers.

	That one I have heard.  The actual pricing structure in the
	early ARIN proposals (http://www.arin.net/) was scalable;
	it was never $2500 per class C unless you're getting them
	one at a time, in non-contiguous blocks.

	These kinds of conspiracy theories are on literally dozens
	of other mailing lists, including NAIPR and PAGAN.

	Please note the reply-to.

J.D. Falk                         voice: +1-415-482-2840
Supervisor, Network Operations      fax: +1-415-482-2844
PRIORI NETWORKS, INC.              http://www.priori.net

"The People You Know.  The People You Trust."