Multiple fiber carriers (was Re: Netrail woes)

J.D. Falk jdfalk at priori.net
Tue Aug 26 17:20:35 UTC 1997

	I'll ignore Nathan's defense because IMHO it has no place
	on this list, and get straight to the operational issues.

On Aug 25, Nathan Stratton <nathan at netrail.net> wrote:

> P.S. We have also learned not be be dependent on Worldcom. We will soon
> buy our DS3s from 3 fibers carriers, and not just 1.

	I'd assume that everybody is currently either already doing
	this or planning to do it RSN.  How can one tell, however,
	whether their carrier is using their own fiber or leasing
	Worldcom's?  Or even if Worldcom has been leasing /theirs/,
	thus putting you right back on the same physical line?

	I know this is a pretty common topic of discussion among
	the smaller telcos, but AFAIK there's no easy solution.

J.D. Falk                         voice: +1-415-482-2840
Supervisor, Network Operations      fax: +1-415-482-2844
PRIORI NETWORKS, INC.              http://www.priori.net

"The People You Know.  The People You Trust."