Anyone Deployed Ascend's GRF IP Switch?

Nathan Stratton nathan at netrail.net
Tue Aug 26 11:39:40 UTC 1997

On Tue, 26 Aug 1997, Ron Buchalski wrote:

> Joseph,
>
> To make a fair comparison between your 7500 and your new GRF, are you
> going to configure your 7500 to be comparable?

We are doing that now.

> Put an RSP4, VIP2-40 interface processors, and CEF code (otherwise known
> as distributed FIB) into the 7500 to make it fair.  You'll see what a
> modern 7500 can REALLY do.

That is what I have, cisco wants it to work, but I am not sure yet. We
were waiting on our RSP4 card, but now that we have it we are starting
testing. I am sure that the GRF will blow away the 7500, but wanted to
give cisco a shot.

> Cisco has made quite a few advancements/modifications to the original
> 7500 over the past two years,  a fact that seems to have escaped the
> folks at the Tolly Group.
>
> The more interesting data published by the Tolly report clearly
> indicates that the GRF has a LONG way to go to meet the performance
> objectives described in Ascend's product literature.  Compare the
> numbers yourself.

Been there done that, and the GRFs in my network are working vary well. We
are adding more all the time. As far as our networks goes we are 100%
cisco free. We have over 170 external peers, at 4 NAPs. The GRF still
needs work, and Ascend knows that. They have put a large amount of people
are resources behind the GRF, and have fixed all the major problems we had
with the box.

Nathan Stratton                             President, CTO, NetRail,Inc.
Phone   (888)NetRail                           NetRail, Inc.
Fax     (404)522-1939                          230 Peachtree Suite 500
WWW     http://www.netrail.net/                Atlanta, GA 30303