Netrail woes (was Re: Atlanta-NAP down (fwd))

Alex Rubenstein alex at nac.net
Mon Aug 25 19:28:16 UTC 1997

According to the folk who answered over there, they are saying that
'Worldcom is done, and it should be resolved within an hour.'

Also, it only appears that thier primary DNS is down, but secondary is OK:

traceroute to 205.215.6.2 (205.215.6.2), 30 hops max, 40 byte packets
.
.
 7  h1.peer1.wdc1.genuity.net (207.240.1.246)  20.514 ms  27.583 ms  27.301 ms
 8  mae-east.netrail.net (192.41.177.228)  46.077 ms  40.92 ms  40.871 ms
 9  gf010.rt1.DCA.netrail.net (205.215.4.1)  39.081 ms  63.107 ms  66.406 ms
10  ginger.netrail.net (205.215.6.2)  38.71 ms  33.085 ms  26.207 ms

<Pine.BSF.3.95q.970716143738.3017A-100000 at netrail.net>
>posted to NANOG during the recent backhoe season: "Ya, we
>are going to kill worldcom for this [outage caused by a
>fibre-cut]".  No tickee, no complainee?
>
>The moral of this story: bad things happen to everyone.
>But when it happens to braggarts who seem to specialize in
>doing things better than people who are trying their best,
>it's terribly, terribly cool.  --:)

---

 "Don't go with a spineless ISP;
	we have more backbone."