ICMP Attacks???????

Jon Lewis jlewis at inorganic5.fdt.net
Fri Aug 22 01:23:35 UTC 1997

On Thu, 21 Aug 1997, Peter E. Giza wrote:

> Make them read the 'ingress/egress filtering' by Paul Fergusson et. al.
> Apologies to
> Paul if I spelled his name incorrectly.

Short of fixing every network on the internet, does anyone have any useful
advice for what to do when smurfed?  This happened to an FDT customer last
night, and it had our T1 (according to uunet) at about 500% capacity.
Obviously, until the attack stopped, our T1 wasn't too useful.  I'm about
>< close to just asking uunet to block all icmp echo replies from coming
into FDT...but I know customers will complain.

 Jon Lewis <jlewis at fdt.net>  |  Unsolicited commercial e-mail will
 Network Administrator       |  be proof-read for $199/message.
 Florida Digital Turnpike    |