ICMP Attacks???????

Jon Green jcgreen at netins.net
Thu Aug 21 20:26:50 UTC 1997

On Thu, 21 Aug 1997 13:18:34 -0700, fair at clock.org writes:

>There is another mitigation: everyone here should commit to filtering
>customer packets at the customer premesis router (or at the dial in for
>PPP/SLIP) such that it is not possible for a customer to send a packet into
>the network that has an IP source address on it that is not assigned to
>that customer. That is, no more lying about source addresses.

Every time I show a customer of mine how to configure a router, I
try to educate them on this.  We need some kind of massive marketing
effort to get this out to people though.  People would do it, but nobody
knows about it.

Maybe we should get CyberPromo to spam all the technical contacts
in Internic's database to tell them how to do filtering. :)

-Jon

    *      Jon Green            *         "Life's a dance             *
   *   jcgreen at netINS.net       *          you learn as you go"        *
  *  Finger for Geek Code/PGP   *                                       *
 *  #include "std_disclaimer.h" * http://www.netins.net/showcase/jcgreen *