Trans-Atlantic Traffic

Steve Goldstein sgoldste at nsf.gov
Wed Aug 20 11:19:27 UTC 1997

At 3:54 AM -0400 8/21/97, Thomas P. Koltai wrote:
>--- On Wed, 13 Aug 1997 23:46:56 +1000  Stuart Bryant <stuartb at ourworld.net>
>wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>   Does anyone know the kind/amount of data currently being moved either
>>way over the Atlantic links ?
>
>About 11,520,000,000 bit per hour.
>
>Tom

I can't prove it, but I have a gut feeling that it's much higher than that.
The European academic networks claim to be supporting  over 300 Mbps of
trans-Atlantic capacity.  They claim that it is almost full-up.

(300 x 10^6) x 3600 ~= 10^12,

and even at only 10% average utilization, in ONE direction, that would be
roughly 10 x your estimate.  And this is for the academic community only,
that is, no commercial links included in the estimate.

Again, just top of my head, no hard numbers.

--Steve G.