Backup Power Schemes

Paul J. Zawada zawada at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Mon Aug 11 20:37:57 UTC 1997

Co-Generation/Off-grid Generation is becoming more available to even small
installations.  The Aerospace division of AlliedSignal is now marketing a
small turbine-based power plant that's about the size of a 75-kVA
transformer.  The unit can produce something like 50-100 kW of power and
will run on LP, Natural Gas, Diesel, Gasoline or grandpa's bathtub whiskey.
 I believe the pricetag is in the $250k range.

See:
http://www.alliedsignal.com/aerospace/product/turbogen/turbo2.html

--zawada

At 09:26 PM 8/8/97 -0700, Tony Li wrote:

>> That takes us back to UPSi on equipment, and generators. Technologies
>> available are:
>
>Don't forget cogeneration equipment.
>
>One would think that local power, UPS, and one flavor of generator should
>suffice.  For the "reasonable".  ;-)
>
>Tony

Paul J. Zawada, RCDD     | Senior Network Engineer
zawada at ncsa.uiuc.edu     | National Center for Supercomputing Applications
+1 630 272 1174          | http://www.ncsa.uiuc.edu/People/zawada