BBN (GTE) Suffers another major power problem.

Eric D. Madison madison at acsi.net
Sat Aug 9 05:33:39 UTC 1997

Well, being a "telco", I can honestly say that DC is the way to go.  Much
more reliable power, less headache to buildout and easier to plan for
expansion.

Most "providers" want AC power in their bays because anyone can plug in an
adapter.. so in essence anyone can rack and stack equipment.  DC power
actually takes a bit of knowledge about electricity.. so you don't fry
your equipment or even better yet get 2nd degree burns on your hands when
you don't ground yourself or your racks properly.

Eric

On Fri, 8 Aug 1997, Nathan Stratton wrote:

> On Fri, 8 Aug 1997, Jonah Yokubaitis wrote:
>
> > Incorrect. Stop using AC equipment in your pops. Use DC equipment and
> > get a _good_ DC Powerplant. Every carrier Class4/5 switchroom usually
> > has 10-20,0000 AMP/hours of standby power.  1 DSC or Nortel switch
> > sucks _quite_ a bit more power than even the largest of superpops.
> > Every carrier has _at least_ 4hours of battery plant (most have 8-12).
> > Relying on generators is a _bad_ idea.
>
> Ok, let me clarify. We have DC gear, most of our POPs also have vary large
> AC UPS systems because we also have 100 - 200 colo racks. Most (around 90%
> of our colo customers want AC, so we need a large AC as well as DC system.
>
> > Its not hard to have 4-12hours of standby battery plant.
> > Lucent/Lorain/Peco2 all make rather nice rectifiers, and
> > C&D/Lucent/GDB all make some nice vented batteries.  By going DC you
> > also don't get hit with the inefficiencies of AC --> DC --> AC --> DC.
> >
> > You can bet that MCI/Sprint don't have a piece of AC equipment in
> > their facilities and most likely are laughing their asses off right
> > now.
>
> True.
>
> Nathan Stratton                             President, CTO, NetRail,Inc.
> Phone   (888)NetRail                           NetRail, Inc.
> Fax     (404)522-1939                          230 Peachtree Suite 500
> WWW     http://www.netrail.net/                Atlanta, GA 30303
> "No king is saved by the size of his army; no warrior escapes by his
> great strength.                                        - Psalm 33:16

      Eric D. Madison - Senior Network Engineer -
 ACSI - Advanced Data Services - ATM/IP Backbone Group
   24 Hour NMC/NOC (800)291-7889 Email: noc at acsi.net