BBN (GTE) Suffers another major power problem.

Nathan Stratton nathan at netrail.net
Fri Aug 8 14:09:43 UTC 1997

On Fri, 8 Aug 1997, Matthew White wrote:

> I can't speak for BBN planet, but the power was out in Cambridge for a 2
> hours.
> Anybody that can survive 2 hours running huge amounts of equipment must
> have their own power grid. :)
>
> Our little UPSes didn't survive...

Well you don't want to design your power system so that your UPS will keep
you through the outage. When you get to 250 KVA systems like we use for
our POPs it is hard to get more then 30 min of uptime. All you want your
UPS to do is keep you up until the generator gets you up to speed.

Nathan Stratton                             President, CTO, NetRail,Inc.
Phone   (888)NetRail                           NetRail, Inc.
Fax     (404)522-1939                          230 Peachtree Suite 500
WWW     http://www.netrail.net/                Atlanta, GA 30303
"No king is saved by the size of his army; no warrior escapes by his
great strength.                                        - Psalm 33:16