Summary of ANTI-spam techniques now available

Jon Lewis jlewis at inorganic5.fdt.net
Tue Aug 5 04:29:44 UTC 1997

On Mon, 4 Aug 1997, Dana Hudes wrote:

> So go ahead, Ehud, I dare you to block all PSI in 38/8 and the
> UUNET dial ports as well.
       ^^^^^^^^^^^
Why do uu.net dialup ports need to talk directly to your mail servers?
Few dialup users use software that handles SMTP delivery...they generally
do the equivalent of smart host everything off to the provider's SMTP
server, and let it handle sending the message to the actual destination.
I know there are smart mail clients that do handle it themselves...but
they can typically fall-back to the smart host.

I've had the following (plus a few other blocks...cyberpromo, quantcom)
! ms.uu.net dialups bite me
access-list 102 deny tcp 153.34.0.0 0.3.255.255 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.255 eq 25

This was from before I got heavy into check_* rules, so I can probably
remove it now, and ban them in other ways.

 Jon Lewis <jlewis at fdt.net>  |  Unsolicited commercial e-mail will
 Network Administrator       |  be proof-read for $199/message.
 Florida Digital Turnpike    |
________Finger jlewis at inorganic5.fdt.net for PGP public key_______