Read this...Re: offtopic for NANOG - do not read

Steve Kann stevek at SteveK.COM
Tue Apr 29 15:34:33 UTC 1997

On Sat, Apr 26, 1997 at 03:50:44PM -0500, Jim Fleming wrote:
> People and companies can now register in
> other domains than .COM.
>
> Why would a company want a .COM domain
> when they can have something more expressive ?

Because when users on 99% of the internet send mail to them, it will
work.  As opposed to when they send mail to you, and get back this
confusing message telling them that the domain name "unir.corp" cannot
be found, and that their mail cannot be delivered.

It seems to me that that would only express to the consumer that the
business they're trying to contact doesn't know how to connect to the
internet.

Luckily, no one that I support has come to me asking why they can't
access a domain outside of the traditional TLDs.  They'd probably just
think it was a typo anyways.

-SteveK

--
        Steve Kann   i/o 360 digital design   841 Broadway, Suite 502
  Personal:stevek at SteveK.COM (finger for PGP) Business:stevek at io360.com