offtopic for NANOG - do not read

Perry E. Metzger perry at piermont.com
Sat Apr 26 19:41:25 UTC 1997

Geoff White writes:
> > I'd like you to point out the major corporations and public
> > universities who will do this.  I'd also like you to immediately
> > return that nice root server that NSI has paid for in part or
> > whole, if you really believe this.
> >
> > Anyone trying to take "COM" and point it somewhere else will find that they
> > have created a class-action lawsuit with 1,000,000 plaintiffs -- all the
> > people who you instantly disconnect that have COM domains.
> >
> > Anyone trying to STEAL NSI's COM zone (to appropriate it as their own) will
> > likely find themselves on the wrong end of a monstrous lawsuit, not to
> > mention potential felony theft charges.
>
> NSI does not own the root domain .com .org .net or any other TLD.
> They were *hired* by the NSF to manage the registration of domain names
> for these TLDs, and they have done a  deplorable job.

You are, of course, correct.

I will point out that NSI's cooperative agreement with the NSF clearly
states that at the end of the agreement, any and all databases or
software created under the agreement belong to the government, not to
NSI.

Read it for yourself if you don't believe me.

Perry
Speaking for myself, and not in an official capacity